Project Lifesaver Launches in Bruce and Grey Counties
Victim Services Bruce Grey Perth along with the Alzheimer Society of Grey-Bruce, South Bruce Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), Grey-Bruce OPP, West Grey Police Service and Owen Sound Police Service is announcing the launch of Project Lifesaver in Bruce and Grey Counties.
Project Lifesaver is a proactive program for wandering persons that may not be able to get themselves home. Program participants wear a one-ounce personalized wristband that emits a continuous radio frequency that can be tracked by a Project Lifesaver receiver.
Select police officers that have been qualified as Project Lifesaver Electronic Search Specialists operate the radio frequency based tracking system. Project Lifesaver uses proven technology that allows first responders to quickly locate a wandering person and get them back to their families.
Time is of the essence in missing person investigations; the longer that someone is missing, the greater the concern for their well-being becomes:
- If the missing person is someone living with a cognitive diagnosis, such as Dementia, this increases the search urgency. Tracking their assigned radio frequency will not only help to locate them in a timely manner; their frequency will help responders to identify them.
- In fall and winter, when there are less hours of daylight and lower temperatures, the search urgency increases, particularly when a winter storm is forecast.
- Bruce and Grey Counties have large bush lots and large agricultural properties that take time to properly search. Having a radio frequency to track gives responding officers a proven technology to quickly locate a missing person and reunite them with their families.
Victim Services Bruce Grey Perth is pleased to announce that we already have Project Lifesaver clients registered in Bruce and Grey Counties. There is a cost to join and an annual maintenance cost, but we encourage you to reach out if you feel this program is a good fit for someone you care about.
To get a family member registered, or for more information on Project Lifesaver, please contact Victim Services Bruce Grey Perth at 1-866-376-9852 or visit them online at http://www.vsbgp.com/.
- Click this link: https://vimeo.com/460299365 to view a Victim Services Bruce Grey Perth video on Project Lifesaver.
- A short video demonstration has been added to West Region OPP Social Media channels. On Twitter, search @OPP_WR to view the video. On Facebook, search @OPPWest to view the video.
Media note: A Victim Services fact on sheet on Project Lifesaver for Bruce and Grey Counties has been added to this media release as an attachment.
- 30 -