What to do when someone dies – Answers to common questions about what to do, and what support is available, when a loved one dies in Ontario.


Who to call first

An expected death: call the doctor who was caring for the deceased person.

An unexpected death: call emergency services first.

No available doctor/emergency services in the area: contact the local coroner’s office.

Unsure about the circumstances: contact the local coroner’s office or the Chief Coroner of Ontario.

Chief Coroner of Ontario

What if a loved one dies outside of Canada?

Organ and tissue donation

Organ and tissue donation can help enhance and save lives, and provide immediate comfort and long-lasting consolation to grieving family members.

You can also choose to donate a body to science or medical research in Ontario.

More information: Trillium Gift of Life Network

More information: whole body donation

Arrange the funeral

Funeral directors can help you make arrangements for full funeral services.

For more information, you can contact:

The Board of Funeral Services
Toll-free: 1-800-387-4458
Toronto: 416-979-5450
E-mail: info@funeralboard.com
Website: www.funeralboard.com

If your arrangements include burial or cremation, the cemetery or crematorium you choose can help you.

Guide: planning a funeral, burial or cremation

List: organizations that can help with grief and loss

Get a burial permit

In most cases, funeral directors can help get a burial permit.

You need a burial permit before funeral services, including cremation, can be performed. You need this permit, even if the burial or other arrangements will take place outside the province.

If the death was outside Ontario, but the burial and arrangements will take place in the province, you will need a burial, transit or removal permit from the jurisdiction where the death occurred.

Death Registration

A funeral director usually oversees the process of registering a death.

To register a death, a funeral director submits 2 documents to a municipal clerk’s office:

A Medical Certificate of Death: the attending doctor or a coroner completes this form, outlining the cause of death.

A Statement of Death: a family member and a funeral director complete this form, together. It includes personal information about the deceased (e.g., family history, age at death, place of death).

Information that is gathered about causes of death can be used for medical/health research or statistics.

Get a death certificate

You can apply for a death certificate at any time, but it cannot be issued until a death is registered.

You may need an original or certified copy of this certificate to:

  • settle an estate
  • access insurance benefits
  • access or cancel certain government services (e.g., health card, pension)
  • research a family tree

Who can request: next of kin, an executor or estate administrator.

Request a death certificate online

Wills and estates

After someone dies, you may need to check if the deceased person has a will. A will is a legal document that sets out who will inherit property, possessions and other personal items.

To find out if a will has been filed: you can contact the estates division of the local Ontario court in the community where the deceased lived.

Search for Ontario court locations

With a will

If the deceased has a will, a “probate” court may or may not need to determine that it is legal.

If a court determines that a will is legal, it also grants “probate” — or approves — a trustee to carry out the wishes of the deceased person. This trustee is often named in a will.

If you are named as the estate trustee (also called the “executor”), you are authorized to administer the estate of the deceased person. You are considered the deceased person’s personal representative, and will carry out their wishes as stated in the will.

For example, you might distribute assets such as a home or financial savings or donate money to charity if that is what is outlined in the will.

No will

Without a will, an estate is distributed according to the law. This can be a complex process. If you are in this situation, you might want to contact a lawyer.

Lawyer Referral Service

The Law Society of Upper Canada offers a free referral service by phone.

This service is designed to connect you with legal services that might be helpful to you.

You will be connected to a Legal Information Officer who can:

  • assess your needs
  • provide the name of a lawyer or paralegal, based on your circumstances

The service is not considered legal advice. Legal fees should be discussed directly with the lawyer or paralegal you are referred to.

Law Society of Upper Canada
Law Society Referral Service
Toll-free: 1-800-268-8326
Local: 416-947-3330

More on estates: Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee

Next of kin under 18 years old: Office of the Children’s Lawyer

More information: wills, executors and power of attorney

Who to notify of death

You may need to notify certain organizations or levels of government when a loved one dies, to access or cancel certain services and/or benefits.

Contacts for compensation, pensions and benefits

Cancel vehicle insurance, memberships and permits

Transfer or cancel real estate, property or utilities

Cancel a driver’s licence

Driver’s licence cancellation with refund

To cancel a driver’s licence on behalf of a deceased person, you will need to write a letter that includes:

  • a statement indicating that the driver has passed away
  • a signature from the person who is returning the licence (e.g., family member, friend) and,
  • the name and address that the refund cheque should be sent to

Attach this letter to the application for refund of driver’s licence fee. Application forms are available at any ServiceOntario centre. You will also need to include one or more of the accepted documents listed below.

Driver’s licence cancellation with no refund

To cancel a driver’s licence on behalf of a deceased person without requesting a refund, you can bring the licence to any ServiceOntario centre. You will need to provide one or more of the accepted documents listed below.

To cancel a driver’s licence by mail, send a copy of one or more of the accepted documents listed below along with the driver’s licence to:

Ministry of Transportation
Licensing Administration and Support Office
Special Enquiry Unit
Building A, Room 178
2680 Keele St
Downsview ON  M3M 3E6

Cancel a health card

To cancel a health card for someone who is deceased, you can bring the health card into any ServiceOntario centre. You will need to provide one or more of the accepted documents listed below. To cancel a health card by mail, send a copy of one or more the accepted documents listed below along with the health card to:

PO Box 48
Kingston ON  K7L 5J3

Accepted documents

Please include one or more of the following documents to support a cancellation request:

  • death certificate
  • funeral notice (obituary)
  • notification of death from police officer, judiciary or lawyer

Oversee the deceased’s finances

If you are the executor, you will need to:

  • file an income tax form on behalf of the deceased person
  • inform the person’s banks and financial institutions of the death
  • contact the Family Responsibility Office if the deceased paid child or spousal support

Download: income tax forms for executors

More on taxes: contact the Canada Revenue Agency

Contact the Family Responsibility Office

Find a bank, credit union or caisse populaire

How do I get an accountant to help me?